Speech-y Word Dictionary

Speech-y Word

As professionals in the area of communication, sometimes we do a terrible job communicating! We use big words that only mean something to those in our field.

I believe it is my job to help our families understand what is going on with their child's communication development and therefore I need to use a vocabulary that is understandable for anyone reading!

However, sometimes, the best word to describe something is that professional jargon!

Because of that, I wanted to give you a little dictionary of words that you may read on my blog (although I always try to use parent friendly words!) or come across in other places like IEP meetings!

I will continue to update this page! I am writing a book, actually a series of books, to help families know how to work on their child's speech sound skills at home. As I write these books, I'll put more words in here!

Need to know what a speech-y word means?! Send me an email!

Speech-y Words

Fricative: I'm including this one because it's in my picture above! It's the term we use when talking about consonant sounds that can be stretched out like "sssss" or "fffffff" (as opposed to sounds that are produced once and cannot be stretched like "p" or "k"). 

Gliding: this is the official term that is used to describe when a child changes the “r” at the beginning of word to a “w” or sometimes a “y” sound.

Vocalic-R: that just means it’s a “r” at the end and has a vowel before it. _are, _ire,  _ore, _ear, etc… 

Vowelization: this is the official term that is used to describe when a child changes the “r” at the end of a word to an “o” or “uh” sound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for being a part of the conversation!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...